Fort Kerium is the original and largest mining town on New Texas. It houses human settlers from Earth but also robots, mutants and various other alien races from other worlds of the Planetary Union and outside of it, mostly living in peace together.
The town lies at the foot of and in the shadow of a huge butte or mesa, most of which has already been hollowed out for the kerium inside. Atop this formation is the space port where spaceships such as the Thistledown 123 can dock. The command centre for the town and also the office of Mayor Derringer is located in the same facility.
There are a hundred or so buildings inside the town, with a street plan that is roughly laid out in the shape of a star. The outer lying buildings are mostly residential. Most of the amenities and services are located in the town square. These include Handlebar's Trading Post which serves the function of a general store, hotel and bar/saloon. The most popular drink on New Texas, sweetwater, is sold here.
The square include the Marshal's Office where Marshal BraveStarr, Thirty/Thirty and Deputy Fuzz live, and which is adjacent to the jail cells. Other public services incudes the Fort Kerium Bank, hospital, schoolhouse and others.
Within the town boundaries are an Aqua-Pod farm which provides much of the water for the town.
- Marshal's Office
- Handlebar's Trading Post
- Fort Kerium bank
- J.B.'s Office
- New Texas Star
- Children's Clubhouse
- Fort Kerium Spaceport
When under attack or facing a large sandstorm, Fort Kerium could go into a mechanised defensive mode. Onset by sounding a siren giving residents time to get indoors, this would be followed by metal barricades soon enveloping each building. A large armoured wall rises up around the town, and the wall also has laser turrets for counter-offensive measures against attackers.
Fort Kerium appears in all episodes of the television series and the movie.
- Episode 03: The Day the Town was Taken
- Episode 05: Kerium Fever - BraveStarr had a feeling trouble was brewing in Fort Kerium because it was too quiet. Indeed, animosity was growing against the Prairie People on the part of several Prospectors who were unable to find Kerium for themselves. Main street became the location of a showdown between three prospectors, two prairie people and the law. Later, Judge J.B. was kidnapped right out of her office, and BraveStarr ended up chasing the kidnappers through town.
- Episode 47: The Price - Dealer travelled to Fort Kerium so he could secretly sell Spin. His first victim was young Jay Olman.
- Episode 54: Shake Hands with Long Arm John - Fort Kerium was terrorized by Dingo Dan in his Dune Buggy while BraveStarr and Thirty/Thirty were out searching for the other members of the Dune Buggy Gang.
- Episode 56: Call of the Wild - When the Fever Flower blossoms, all the settlers in town become ill except for BraveStarr and Wild Child.
- Episode 65: Strength of the Bear - When Thirty/Thirty decided to go after BraveStarr in the Badlands, he first stopped at Fort Kerium to see if any of the other Law Protectors would join him.
The 1986 Mattel toy line includes a large play set of Fort Kerium. This came in three sections (command centre, bank and jail), or for those on a budget the set could be bought in separate, cheaper sections.
The complete set unopened now fetches very large auction prices for collectors.